How to donate
- Please check our current needs by calling 641-753-4406 or checking our website - www.ivh.iowa.gov.
- Please notify Volunteer Services of your donation ahead of time by calling 641-753-4406
- Please send/deliver to:
1301 Summit St
Marshalltown, IA 50158
- Include organization and/or name of person donating, a complete address, phone number and monetary value (if you wish to assign one).
- Monetary donations are always welcome for our Christmas Fund, Acct 115, Recreation Fund, Acct 106, and Courtyard * Remodel Project Acct 179. Please make out checks to the Iowa Veterans Home and send to:
1301 Summit St
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Please DO NOT donate to the Canteen Fund
Items Currently Needed
- Word Search, “Fill-it-in”, and Variety puzzle books
- Men’s aftershave/cologne (no aerosol)
- Full size personal care items (shampoo, deodorant, men’s body wash)
- Candy bars – full size & snack size
- Individually wrapped snack items (“Little Debbie” snacks, chips, cookies)
- Microwave popcorn & puff corn
- Cans of soda pop (diet & regular)
- Bottles of ketchup and mustard
- Forever Postage Stamps
- Used tennis balls for the bottom of walkers
- Heavy material to make bags to hold wheelchair pedals
- Men’s Cloth Handkerchiefs (NEW - white)
- Large Print Playing Cards
- Adult Coloring Books– large print & low vision
- Newspaper, DVDs, and Magazine Subscription Funds – Funds needed to buy subscriptions for the units and the Library
- Military ball caps (new)
NEW CLOTHING DONATIONS
Only new clothing will be accepted. Primarily XL and above (as large as 5X)
- Tennis Shoes (men’s Size 10), Tee Shirts w/Pocket, Tee Shirts w/Pocket, White Underwear, Gloves, Coats, Socks, Long * * Sleeved Undershirts, Sweat pants, and Sweat Shirts
- iTunes gift cards for Music Program
- Relaxation, country and big band CDs
- Country, big band and patriotic songbooks
- Money – earmarked for dorm refrigerators, artwork, recliners, and lift chairs
- Popcorn for Tuesday Popcorn Program (white regular popcorn – not microwave)
- Craft Items - old jewelry/beads, all size canvases Dry erase markers, markers, colored pencils, simple snap on models, paint or color by number, modeling clay, acrylic and watercolor paints, any kids or simple art projects, fabric, sewing machine thread
- Cake Mixes, frosting, and family size brownie mixes
We Do Not Accept
- Used clothing
- Trial sized or used personal care items - (shampoo, deodorant, body wash, lotion)
NOT needed at this time
- used puzzles
- lap blankets
- playing cards
Our priority needs as of right now are the following:
- General Memorial Fund, Acct 135. Purpose: This is a fund set up for direct needs for IVH residents as they come up. Funding will be placed in either a “restricted” or “unrestricted” account.
- Special Activities Account, 106. Purpose: Our recreation therapist support over 500 veterans and spouses on a daily basis. Many of their activities come at a cost and in order to maintain the scheduled activities we are asking for monetary donations. This account provides admission to outside recreational activities. Also, the funds are for in-house recreational events as well such as special meals, prizes for bingo, entertainers, phone cards, plants for resident garden boxes, resident bowling program, ponchos (for residents) and Tuesday popcorn program.
- Television (Flat Screen) 32”. Purpose: The goal of the IVH leadership is to provide and maintain a 32” Television (Flat Screen) for all residents in the facility. There is a need to store four to five 32” Televisions (Flat Screen) to replace unserviceable televisions.
- Courtyard Project, Acct 179. Purpose: As a state agency we are not authorized to use general funds for general area beautification. Our courtyard landscape design master plan has been approved. We are currently taking monetary donations for this remodeling effort. If you would like to make a donation please contact the Commandants Office: Attn: Mike Hines (641) 753-4309 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library Support. Purpose: Peterson Library is a beautiful area for the residents to visit. The library consist of current DVDs, large print books, newspapers (local & national), magazines, 5 x desktop computers, audio books and music CDs. We are asking for monetary donations to ensure that our residents have the most updated materials and facilities.
- Musical Instruments. Musical instruments are important in treating a resident’s physical, cognitive, or communicative challenges as well to improve a resident’s confidence, self-esteem and motivation. We request instruments such as: flutes, clarinets, trumpets, violins, bongo drums for group music activities and we'd like to get some harmonicas for the "jam sessions" we do. If you would like to make a donation of instruments contact Volunteer Services, 641-753-4406, prior to donation.
- Commercial Artwork. Purpose: We are looking for funds to purchase commercial artwork for our common areas, day rooms, and household areas.
- Arts and Crafts/ Creative Arts Support. Purpose: We are adding creative arts programming in the activity centers. This will provide additional craft activity options for the residents at IVH. Funding will be used to purchase additional supplies and equipment needed to support this program.