Services at the Iowa Veterans Home
Resident care teams (Interdisciplinary Resident Care Conference--IRCC)
Each resident at the Iowa Veterans Home is assigned a primary care team. Care teams consist of primary nurse, social worker, recreation therapist, dietitian, direct care giver, and physician. These care teams, along with the resident (and if the residents chooses their family) make up the resident's core treatment planning team. The care team meets quarterly, with the resident, to discuss resident needs, concerns, and review of current plan of care.
The Medical clinic is in the Sheeler building. This is a clinic setting for contracted medical providers (Optometrist, Podiatrist, and Dentist).
This area also houses our telemedicine, where physicians can video connect to examine residents and discuss treatment options.
We have a Mental Health Department, which is staffed Monday through Friday 8 AM to 4:30 PM by professionals who specialize in psychology, psychiatry, and substance abuse counseling. These professionals visit residents on the units and are available to see residents for routine or acute needs.
These services are available to all residents living at the Iowa Veterans Home with physician order
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Prosthesis (including dentures)
- Hearing Aids
- Healthcare Supplies
- Nutritional Supplements
- Music Therapy
- Recreational Services
- Chaplain Spiritual Services
- Nutritional Services
- Social Work Services
- Incentive Therapy (this is a resident work program)
- Transportation Services (to external medical appointments arranged by the Iowa Veterans Home)
- Cashiers/banking services
- Bill paying assistance
- Assistance in applying for federal, state, and non-governmental entitlements
- Resident WiFi
- Gift Shop
- Barber/Beauty Shop (paid for by the resident)
- Laundry (dry cleaning/mending is also available at the residents expense)
- Massage Therapy (at the residents expense)