Thank you so much for thinking of us! Many of our residents rely on the generosity of individuals and organizations who graciously donate to them. We currently have over 500 residents with a variety of needs.
How to Donate:
- Please notify Volunteer Services of your donation ahead of time by calling 641-753-4405
- All donated items must be new. We cannot accept used or partially used items.
- Include your organization and/or the name of the person donating. Include a complete address, phone number, and monetary value (if you wish to assign one).
- Send or deliver items to:
1301 Summit Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Items Currently Needed:
- Word search and "fill-it-in" or variety puzzle books
- Men's aftershave/cologne (no aerosol) and Women's perfume/body spray
- Full-sized personal care items (shampoo, deodorant, body wash)
- Nail polish and polish remover
- Candy bars: full-sized and snack-sized
- Individually wrapped snack items (Little Debbie, chips, cookies)
- Microwave popcorn and puff corn
- Cans of soda pop (diet and regular)
- Forever postage stamps
- Heavy material to make bags to hold wheelchair pedals
- New men's cloth handkerchiefs (white)
- Large print playing cards
- Adult coloring books (large print and low vision)
- Military ball caps (new)
- Country, big-band, and patriotic songbooks
- Relaxation, country, and big-band CDs
- White regular popcorn seeds (not microwave) for Tuesday popcorn program
New Clothing Donations (primarily XL and above, as large as 5X):
- Tennis shoes (men's size 10)
- T-shirts with pocket
- White undershirts
- Long-sleeved undershirts
- All sizes of canvases
- Colored pencils
- Simple snap-on models
- Paint or color by number
- Modeling clay
- Acrylic and watercolor paints
- Any kids or simple art projects
- Commercial artwork - Artwork adds to the feeling that the Iowa Veterans Home is an actual home. We are looking for funds or donations of commercial-grade artwork for common areas, dayrooms, and household areas.
- Musical instruments - Music is important in treating a resident's physical, cognitive, and communication challenges. It also helps improve a resident's confidence, self-esteem, and motivation. We are in need of instruments such as flutes, clarinets, trumpets, violins, bongo drums, and harmonicas.
- Flat-screen TVs - The Iowa Veterans Home's goal is to provide and maintain a 32" flat-screen TV for all residents in our facility. We have a need to store four to five 32-inch flat-screen televisions to replace unserviceable televisions.
- Library support - The Peterson Library is a wonderful area for residents to unwind and relax. The library consists of current DVDs, large-print books, newspapers (local and national), magazines, five desktop computers (for resident use), audiobooks, and CDs. We ask for donations to ensure our residents have the most updated materials and facilities.
- Event tickets - We seek event tickets of 16 or more to a variety of events.
Items We Do Not Accept:
- Used clothing
- Partially used items of any kind
- Trial-sized personal care items (shampoo, deodorant, body wash, lotion)
Items Not Needed At This Time:
- Magazines (individual or used)
- Used Puzzles
- Lap Blankets
- Playing cards