Admission Processing

Eligibility Requirements

Admissions to the Iowa Veterans Home are limited to honorably discharged veterans eligible for care and treatment at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. The spouse of a veteran or widowed spouse of a veteran shall be eligible for admission, based on the eligibility of the living or deceased veteran spouse, in accordance with the Iowa Administrative Code (IAC). The individual shall have met the residency requirements of the state of Iowa on the date of admission to the Iowa Veterans Home. Spouses must be married to a veteran for at least one (1) year before the date of application. Certification of residency is required by the County Commission of Veteran Affairs.

County Commission Of Veterans Affairs

Each County has a Commission of Veteran Affairs, generally located in the county courthouse and listed in the telephone directory under County Government or Commissioner of Veteran Affairs. Contact your County Commission or Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center counselor to obtain an application form and IVH information. You must have the County Commission certify your eligibility for admission by verifying your residency and military service. An original or certified copy of your Veteran's discharge papers, an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate of spouse, divorce decree, durable power of attorney papers, or conservatorship and guardianship papers are needed to complete your application. Copies of all current court orders regarding financial obligations, such as child support or alimony must also be provided.

To locate your local Co. Commission of Veterans Affairs office, click here - (This link opens in a new tab; it is maintained by the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs.)

Each applicant must have a current physical examination, including laboratory and x-ray findings, completed and verified on the application form by a local physician or a physician from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

Financial Information

The Resident/Patient or applicant, or the legal representative, must disclose to the Iowa Veterans Home all sources of income, such as pensions, social security, private or government annuities, rents, farm income, interest, etc. Assets, such as cash, bank accounts, savings and loan accounts, bonds, real estate and investment, must be listed. The value of the applicant's homestead (as defined in the IAC) must be shown; however, it may not be counted as an asset and may retain its exempt status providing conditions are met as referenced in the Iowa Administrative Code. Failure to make complete and accurate disclosure of income and assets is grounds for dismissal from the Home.

Health And Nursing Home Insurance

All applicants shall inform the Veterans Home of any health or nursing home insurance coverage and shall apply for Medicare if not already covered by that program. The Veterans Home will pay the Medicare premium upon billing by the Social Security Administration. The applicant will be responsible for payment of any other premiums. Any insurance payments shall be applied toward the cost of medical care before the Iowa Veterans Home funds are expended.

Costs Of Care

Eligible veterans, their spouses, and/or widowed spouses are admitted without regard to their financial status. The rate of payment is based on the actual cost of care and the individual's ability to pay using available resources.


The admissions committee shall assign the level and category of care required by the applicant. When a bed is not immediately available in the level and category of care assigned, the applicant's name shall be placed on the appropriate waiting list for that level and category of care or special care unit in the order of the date the application was received.

Printed from the website on April 22, 2018 at 1:24am.