Thank you so much for thinking of us. Many residents here rely on the generosity of the individuals and organizations who graciously donate to them. We currently have over 600 residents with a variety of needs.
1. How to donate:
Please check our current needs by calling 641-753-4406 or checking our website http://ivh.iowa.gov.
Please notify Volunteer Services of your donation ahead of time by calling 641-753-4406
Please send/deliver to: QUARTERMASTER, 1301 Summit St, Marshalltown, IA
Include organization and/or name of person donating, a complete address, phone number and monetary value (if you wish to assign one).
Monetary donations are always welcome for our Christmas Fund and our Recreation Fund. Please make out checks to the Iowa Veterans Home and send to Volunteer Services, 1301 Summit St, Marshalltown, IA
2. Items Currently Needed
- Word Search, “Fill-it-in”, and Variety puzzle books
- Men’s aftershave/cologne (no aerosol)
- Full size personal care items (shampoo, deodorant, body wash, lotion)
- Candy bars – full size & snack size
- Individually wrapped snack items (“Little Debbie” snacks, chips, cookies)
- Microwave popcorn
- Cans of soda pop (diet & regular)
- Bottles of ketchup and mustard
- Forever Postage Stamps
- Used tennis balls for bottom of walkers
- Heavy material to make bags to hold wheelchair pedals
- Men's cloth Handkerchiefs (NEW-white)
- NEW CLOTHING DONATIONS: Only new clothing will be accepted. Primarily XL and above (as large as 5X)
Tennis Shoes, Tee Shirts w/Pocket, Underwear, Gloves, Coats, Socks, Long Sleeved Undershirts, Sweat pants, Sweat Shirts, Pajamas, are especially needed
- iTunes gift cards for Music Program
- Relaxation, country and big band CDs
- Country, big band and patriotic songbooks
- Money – earmarked for dorm refrigerators, recliners, and lift chairs
- Popcorn for Tuesday Popcorn Program (white regular popcorn – not microwave)
- Craft Items - Dry erase markers, colored pencils, simple snap on models, paint or color by number, modeling clay, canvases, acrylic and watercolor paints, temper paints, any kids or simple art projects, fabric, sewing machine thread, old jewelry/beads
3. We do Not Accept
- Used clothing
Trial sized or used personal care items - (shampoo, deodorant, body wash, lotion)
NOT needed at this time:
Lap blankets, playing cards, books, combs, toothpaste or toothbrushes.
Large Item Needs
Our priority needs as of right now are the following:
1. General Memorial Fund.
Purpose: This is a fund for direct needs of IVH residents as they come up.
2. Special Activities Account
. Purpose: Our recreation therapist support over 600 veterans and spouses on a daily basis. Many of their activities come at a cost and in order to maintain the scheduled activities we are asking for monetary donations. This account provides admission to outside recreational activities. Also, the funds are for in-house recreational events as well such as special meals, prizes for bingo, entertainers, phone cards, plants for resident garden boxes, resident bowling program, ponchos (for residents) and Tuesday popcorn program.
3. Television (Flat Screen) 32” (approximate cost $450ea).
Purpose: As we start our renovation of Dack & Malloy our goal is to place a flat screen television in each of the resident’s room. A donation plaque will be placed on the television once the equipment is purchased and mounted in the resident’s room.
4. Funding for garden & court yard beautification.
Purpose: As a state agency we are not authorized to use general funds for general area beautification. In order to maintain the garden’s and court yard’s landscaping to a high standard we are asking for monetary donations so that we may continue do so.
5. Library Support.
Purpose: Peterson Library is a beautiful area for the residents to visit. The library consist of current DVDs, large print books, newspapers (local & national) 5 x desktop computers, audio books and music CDs. We are asking for monetary donations to ensure that our residents have the most updated material to use.
Need: TV Guides $3.00 a piece. 1-2 guide per floor. (Source: Times Republican)
6. IPADS/ Resident Computer Support.
Purpose: Our goal is ensure that all residents have the opportunity to use computers and technology in each of the facilities unit dayrooms. We are looking for a monetary donation for the support so that we may improve our resident’s ability to communicate.
7. Touch Play Machines.
Purpose: Half of our units have interactive touch play machines with over 100 games per machine. IVH would like to provide touch play machines to the units that currently do not have machines.
Need: 6 Machines. Approximately $3,000 per unit
8. Commercial Artwork.
Purpose: We are looking for funds to purchase commercial artwork for our common areas, day rooms, and household areas.
9. Alive Dementia Program MP4 Players ($60)
Purpose: Connecting dementia patients with music creates an awaking process. We want to purchase MP4 players for the dementia residents at IVH. We will then create a personalized play list for each resident based on their likes and interests. The residents will have time on their MP4 player each day. We are asking for monetary donations to purchase a player for each resident with dementia.