- Under the general direction of Nursing Administration, has overall unit managerial responsibility of Registered Nurses and other nursing personnel in the management of healthcare delivery to assure that unit goals align with agency and departmental goals.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of long and short-term planning for the department and agency so there is effective operation of the facility and quality patient care. This includes monitoring resident care planning, med. reviews, clinical indicators, incident reports, and work injuries; professional and non-professional workload division; facilitating team function (IRCC, unit, department); participates in research and goal setting, including practice standards; participates in developing unit based budgets as well as practicing fiscal responsibility departmentally; remains knowledgeable of care delivery models, current trends, and regulatory requirements and is proactive regarding regulatory compliance, and participates in and has oversight of staffing requirements for unit, shift, and department
- Provides leadership to facilitate delivery of care and performance of nursing staff so that a therapeutic environment, coordinated work efforts, and positive departmental image are maintained. This includes facilitating and participating in clinical coverage; providing crisis intervention and conflict resolution; is a Nursing liaison to other departments; planning, conducting, and documenting assigned meetings; communicating the philosophy, mission and vision of the Nursing Department as well as current department and agency information and perform supervisory on-call responsibilities
- Is responsible for staff management; including investigations, staff meetings, work rules, evaluations, documentation, grievance procedures, and effective communication
- Utilizes resources so that available programs/assistance are provided to staff. This includes ensuring that established standards of care are met; assuring clinical competence in all classifications; and ensuring a safe work environment. This involves oversight of and participation in the orientation of new employees; oversight of and participation in the identification and correction of cited deficits; monitoring staff and resident satisfaction and acting as their advocate; planning and coordinating a Continuous Quality Improvement program for assigned area of responsibility; and identification of knowledge deficit, planning and presenting education and in-services to staff
- Will participate in activities of professional growth so that current skills and knowledge are enhanced. This includes participation in research and applicability to nursing practice, literature review, education, and in-services. This also includes promoting committee participation for self and others; acting as a role model; encouraging professional growth in others; and developing an area of expertise and serving as a resource to others.
- Performs special projects as assigned so that goals of the department are achieved
Job Title: NURSE SUPERVISOR
Job Description Summary:
Supervises nursing personnel in the management of health care delivery; functions as associate administrator in a health-care-oriented facility; performs related work as required at the Iowa Veterans Home.
Official Job Description
- This link opens in a new tab; it is a PDF document maintained by DAS.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors degree in Nursing or in a specialty listed in the selective certification section and experience equal to one year of full-time clinical nursing experience in one of the specialties listed in the selective certification section or in a correctional environment.
Current openings at the Iowa Veterans Home